Klang District - General
Klang District comprises of two mukims (sub-districts) namely Klang and Kapar. Klang Town, located 32 km south-west of Kuala Lumpur, is the Royal Town of the State of Selangor and is also one of the main gateways to Malaysia via sea. The district area includes several islands, namely Pulau Ketam, Pulau Kelang, Pulau Tengah, Pulau Selat Kering, Pulau Selat Gedung, Pulau Che Mat Zin and Pulau Indah. It covers 626.78 square km of land with a 53.75 km coastline. It is bounded on the north by the Kuala Selangor District, on the east by Petaling District and on the south by Kuala Langat District. Port Klang, which is Malaysia’s premier port, is located eight kilometres to the southwest of Klang Town. The progressive development of this port over the past decades has enormously contributed to the robust growth of the State’s and nation’s economy.
Klang District -History
Klang is one of the oldest towns in Malaysia.
Pre-historic implements known as ‘Mawas Bones’ which were used during the Iron
Age have been found, indicating that civilisation appeared in Klang some 2,000
years ago. The first written account of Klang started during the reign of
Majapahit about 600 years ago. When Malacca was just a fishing village and long
before it became the capital of a Malay empire in 1400, Klang was already a
bustling center of commerce, famous for its high-grade tin. The metal was found
in abundance in-stream and along the Klang River. The town started as a dwelling
for the Malay chiefs who controlled the mineral and forest products trade. Klang
has been literally on the map for centuries. The Klang River was already marked
and named on the earliest maritime charts prepared by navigators who accompanied
the Chinese Admiral Cheng Ho on his visits to Malacca from 1409 to 1433. Klang
was the state capital before the seat of government shifted to Shah Alam in
Kuala Langat - General
Kuala Langat is located 44 km from Shah Alam, the capital of Selangor. It is bounded on the north by Klang District, on the east and south by Sepang District and on the west by the Straits of Melaka. The district is made up of seven sub-districts, namely: Tanjung Dua Belas, Telok Panglima Garang, Jugra, Bandar, Kelanang, Morib and Batu. It has a 48 km coastline and a land area of 857.75 square km. Being adjacent to the fast growing newly emerging growth centers of Klang Valley, Putrajaya, Cyberjaya and the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the district is experiencing rapid development.
Kuala Langat - History
Previously Kuala Langat was known as Langat and it was located where Bandar Temasya and Jugra are now situated. Langat was believed to have been founded by the Bugis who came from Johor in the 18th century to trade with Melaka. Jugra was already well known during the golden age of the Melaka Sultanate. Actually it existed well before the Sultanate emerged, as proven by the discovery of archaeological remains believed to be 2,000 years old in Kampung Sungai Lang in 1964. During the reign of Sultan Abdul Samad Ibni Almarhum Raja Abdullah (1857 - 1898), the seat of power was moved to Bandar Temasya during the Klang War (1868). Thereafter, Bandar Temasya became a Royal Town and it played an important role in the political, social and economic development of Selangor. This was mainly due to its location on the coast, which made it suitable for a riverine and marine-based governance system. River navigation was made safe due to its location near the riverbank of Sungai Langat and natural protection provided by the nearby Carey Island. It attracted people from the neighboring areas as well as traders from Sumatera and Bugis. After the death of Sultan Abdul Samad on 6 February 1898, his son Sultan Alauddin Sulaiman Shah was installed as the Sultan. The decline of Bandar Temasya and Jugra began early in his reign and finally due to the power struggles within the palace, the seat of power was moved back to Klang in 1903.